Gilt bled profusely when boar tried to breed her

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
MSPR
Power User
Power User

Post by MSPR » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:27 pm

The gilt was in a full standing heat. She had never been bred before. Gilt bled profusely when boar the boar penetrated her the first time. She would allow him to mount again but would not allow him to penetrate her again. I separated them and put a finger in her I felt a constriction around my index finger. The question I have here is could the placement of her urethra be incorrect and that is what i was feeling? I did not try to pass an AI pipette, which I could try. Her vulva is not tipped. Anyone have this happen before. I have bred gilts before and have never seen this.

mtbkmom
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by mtbkmom » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:45 pm

While she is still standing I would lube the heck out of an AI rod and just let it slip in--how far and what angle...if the rod tips in the wrong direction or you have to go like an "S" shape to direct it in then I would think that even if you do get her bred the liklihood of the babies slipping out in the right direction would be fairly slim. This could set you p for a nightmare farrowing experience--trying to grab first an then pull all of those babies would be a huge challenge.
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."--I Am Second.

MSPR
Power User
Power User

Post by MSPR » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:20 pm

There is a constriction about 4 inches or so in. She urinates fine. She bled with the AI rod. I will not breed her even if I can pass a smaller rod. I will examine the vaginal and reproductive tract when she is butchered. Should be interesting.

MSPR
Power User
Power User

Post by MSPR » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:55 pm

I thought you might like to know since you replied to my post. We butchered 4 gilts last weekend and I pulled the reproductive tracks out of all of them. the problem gilt had quite a narrowing just before the urethra. I would say she was about 1/2 to less than the others comparing. I split the vaginal canals to see it. Everything appeared normal past that. I believe it would of been a train wreck to of bred her.

Mary-Okie
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by Mary-Okie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:56 pm

What was her breeding (pedigree)?
Colby Ferguson
Mary-Okie Farm
cferg615@outlook.com

“Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.” Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant

MSPR
Power User
Power User

Post by MSPR » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:15 pm

Purebred landrace x exotic boar that I own. The Landrace sows have all been great producers with no problems that this female is out of. Could very well be genetic. This is only the second gilt that has been bred out of the 6 Landrace sows. One being her mother. All the females that were butchered were genetically the same. Hard to know since all the offspring, even the purebred litters except one gilt have been used for butcher stock. Also could be from the boars side I guess, I know his lineage, but who is going to tell me about the females from crossbred boars.