Draminski readings- not sure what to think

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
T406

Draminski readings- not sure what to think

Post by T406 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:10 pm

So we got our Draminski and we have a sow that we bred 3 weeks ago so we were checking her numbers to watch for her to see if she would cycle. On Thursday she dropped to 310, was 260 Friday then went back up to 280 last night and was 340 tonight which is exactly 21 days since breeding. She has mucous and is swelling like being in heat but not standing. Based on what we've read i would have expected her numbers to drop lower. Did we totally miss it between Friday and Saturday? Any thoughts?

porcine
Power User
Power User

Re: Draminski readings- not sure what to think

Post by porcine » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:50 am

I have used the draminski tool along with a teaser boar. On a few of our older sows, I have tracked over a 30 day period prior to breeding, see the numbers run above 380, then start to drop around day 19, 20 and 21 where it will slowly come down to under 300. At day 19, the average number is 280, day 20, 260, then day 21 210 (which may be estrous "0"), then rise to 250 the next day, then slowly rise to 280 and up. I am guessing she came back into heat for you. If her numbers stayed above 300 after day 21, you could assume she was settled. We usually breed 24hrs after we feel we found the starting point of estrous. I also looking for physical signs of standing, and the teaser boar triggering additional physical signs. you need to take a reading each day for 30 days prior to breeding season to establish a baseline number for that particular sow or you genetics. that will enable you to be more precise when to breed her as you see the numbers changing.