Catheter placement

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
alterna
Power User
Power User

Catheter placement

Post by alterna » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:05 pm

Any advice or tips on knowing when the catheter has been positioned correctly. My major concern is knowing proper placement. When is it right, when is it not. What is too deep and what is not deep enough...
Any hints or help appreciated.
If ya don't raise champion children, the livestock won't really matter.

drw
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by drw » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:35 pm

Insert the rod at a slightly upward angle (toward the backbone). Depth of insertion varies, but will be several inches (8 to 10?).
I suggest that you use a spirette because it is relatively easy to detect when a spirette is locked into the cervix. As you are applying counter-clockwise torque, let go of the rod. If the spirette is locked, it will rotate clockwise a quarter turn or so when you let go.
Foam tipped rods require a little different feel to detect lock. You can feel the rod tip "click" past the folds in the cervix, and the rod will stay in place if you gently pull on it.

ter
Power User
Power User

Post by ter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:34 pm

As previously stated, I would use a spiral type rod for your first time inseminating since you will know if you are in the right spot or not. Purdue University has a good site on proper insemenation technique using a spiral type rod. I know we used the information from this site the first time we AI'd and had our gilt stick.

http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/swine/porkpa ... /mngt3.htm