Sticks?

Hair and skin, show pig training tips, equipment discussion, what you need to get started
racincowboy3

Post by racincowboy3 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:04 pm

I have used them all and won with them all. My opinion is this. Use what your hog likes best! Sure there is little differences between the different tools when you handle them, but that is nothing that you can't get over. It isn't that much of a difference. But to the pig, once you find what it works best on, keep it on it, because you want that hog to work well regardless of the stick. I took 6 pigs to a jackpot once, and used 4 different sticks, it really doesn't matter what you use, as long as the pig works!!!

As far as switching hogs, when you do that switch sticks, brushes, rags, anything that the goes with the pig. You want every advantage when it comes to making that pig work to its best potential. Maybe the brush you have is a little stiffer that the one the pig is used to, or maybe it likes the rag, and doesn't like brushes at all. You never know, so try to get that advantage.

KW69

Post by KW69 » Sat May 26, 2007 11:15 pm

some judges liek differnt sticks also. i was at a show last weekend. and i made i into the championships, and afte rht elower hogs left he starte dgoign on and on, and he said he liked whips over pipes because he thought you could keep the head up better, but he also judge the fair the year before, and he said he liek pipes better, so just us ehwta you want

Hoggger

Post by Hoggger » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:27 pm

EVERYONE at my county fair uses a cane. every judge we've ever had has always commented on this, and probably finds it a bit odd. I'm from a small town so I guess we dont like change here.

hoosierpigman

Post by hoosierpigman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:42 pm

I would say that the whip is the thing to use. I used to use the pipe but switched to the whip. If you are working with your hogs the proper amount, you shouldn't need the extra power of a pipe. With a whip, the pigs don't get a bunch of big red marks all down their sides. Also, you can get their heads up and make them look much better with a whip than a pipe.

XBREED
Power User
Power User

Post by XBREED » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:51 pm

with all our pigs we try and use the pipes..mainly because we feed raw eggs to softin and condition skin..and when you use a whip it can laeve long lasting marks and i've heard it can damage skin..for hamps durocs spots ext..darker colored pigs i try and use the whip because whip marks arent apparent
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
Benjamin Franklin

pigman102

Post by pigman102 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:38 pm

I USE THEM ALL BUT I PREFER THE WIP MY SELF AND YOU SHOULD YOU WHAT EVER YOU LIKE
taters show pigs
james and jim howard
meeker ok

indichestershowman10

Post by indichestershowman10 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:45 pm

I wouldnt say the judges prefer a whip but its the more updated way in my opinion, but again it depends on the hog your driving.

hampy622
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by hampy622 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:02 pm

i use a pipe because for the most part it doesnt welt them up as bad as a whip or whatever you call those things with the white handles and the narrow leather or whatever it is with the string at the end you have no control with those. whatever you choose to use stick with it you will be more comfortable I use the same pipe every time and when i go to use something different i feel uncomfortable.

rhinestone_cowgirl

Post by rhinestone_cowgirl » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:11 pm

I prefer to use a pipe for two particular reasons: 1. it's more comfortable for me as far as controlling it, and 2. my hogs seem to react better to it. I think a lot of what showmen should choose to do/use on their hogs should be based on the hog itself, not just convenience. If your hog's uncomfortable, they simply probably won't do as well. Just my two cents. :)

ashleyshowpigs

Post by ashleyshowpigs » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:43 pm

I have showed for 10 years and i have tryed them all and i like to use a pipe or a cane.
Ashley R. McClurg

spottedhog

Post by spottedhog » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:21 am

i like the pipe better b/c the pig can see it better then a whip. so if you have worked your hogs alot then all you should have to do is show them the pipe and they will go where you want them too. but it take a lot of work to get the pig to do it but i think if you can master this with your pig then the judge won't care what you use because he will be able to tell that you have worked with your pig and therefore you will have succes

eat_sleep_show
Power User
Power User

Post by eat_sleep_show » Mon May 19, 2008 3:56 pm

it honestly doesn't matter. i personally like to use a whip because it looks the most complete. but depending on my pig, i may switch to a pipe because my pig responds to it better. oh yeah, like everyone before me: make sure its? comfortable. you will have more confidence in something that is easy for you. oh yeah, make sure you know how your pig will react to something else if you haven't all ready prepared your pig to a whip. if you change it up in the show ring it will be too late.

PKB

Post by PKB » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:04 am

I know everyone here is saying to use what you train the hog with, but I actually use a pipe to start out because, as stated several times earlier, you have a little bit more control with the pipe. Then, as show time approaches, I begin to switch over to a whip. I have never in 10 years of showing had a hog react badly to switching over, but perhaps that's just my experience. Once or twice I have even switched over the day of the show and not had a problem. I just find that the whip does not make the whacking sound a pipe does, and looks more polished in the ring. That said, most judges will not count you off for using a certain kind of driving instrument.

SomeFourMenToura

Post by SomeFourMenToura » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:32 am

maxwellfarm07 wrote:call me old fassion but i use a cane the same way my grampa did when he used to show hogs. but i to agree, use what you like
Yeah right. Old way those good too. And it more appropriate to use to those hogs that aren't comfortable on whips.
[quote22="Ichi"][color=#66669922]It helps somewhat that his cane swords literally dissolves to reveal a normal katana rather than being a fancy blade.[/color22]

PIGGYlove
Power User
Power User

Post by PIGGYlove » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:14 pm

I use a pipe to train then a whip a week or 2 before show then for show a whip[/b][/list]
GOIN SHOW---------------------> THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THE HELLO OF OINKS IN THE MORNING!!!----------------------> MCELHENNY SHOWPIGS!!!